Friday, September 20, 2019

ElectricityExploration

(cross posted at http://www.paulshircliff.org/the-journey/electricityexploration )

Here is something I think that every #MakerSpace #STEM #STEAM lab should have, any and all ages. Some electricity exploration. I am a little biased being an Engineer that worked in the electricity generation industry, but it is a major part of our lives and most people don’t understand it. I have always liked colored lights (and music... remember putting blinking christmas lights in a box behind some frosted plastic??)


I am doing a STEAM day with my colleagues from Construct Learning, and my part is Electrical Engineering / Electricity. So I finally got a little electricity kit, $12 : 6 motors, motor holders  switches, fan blades, propellers, battery holders, assorted gears, 4 wheels. It is an inexpensive way for students to play with electricity. You have to add AA batteries {20 for $9}, and I would add some CR 2032 watch batteries (or other model){20 for $9},  maybe even some AAA and C or D batteries, but probably not the 9V batteries. 

To make connections easier, you might want to include some alligator wires [30 for $9] I would also add some LED’s. [500 for $10]. 

Let’s add it all up : 
Kit $12
AA batts $9
CR2032 $9 (the more the merrier) 
Alligator wires $9
LED’s $10
                             ~ $50  (if you group up and 1 motor each ~$8 per group)

There is one more thing that I would include : a genecon for $13. It allows discussions on “what is electricity” and do we “make” electricity or do we “generate” it, totally different concepts. They do need to be careful with these, to not turn them so fast or so hard that the plastic gears inside wear out. For an exploration station, I would get at least 2 of these. So now we are talking $75 for some open investigations with electricity.



No comments:

Post a Comment

we love to hear from you. though we will moderate comments to ensure appropriateness